Subscribe to our newsletter
Start receiving the latest stories and updates from The Maine Monitor in your inbox.
- Don’t bet your boiler on natural gasMaine should avoid new natural gas infrastructure and instead electrify heating systems for long-term savings, climate stability, safety and indoor air quality.
- Calls to domestic violence hotlines were more frequent — and dire — during pandemicCOVID-19 increased the stress and isolation that worsens abuse, making Maine survivors feel less safe at home. Violence against women is a “shadow pandemic.”
- Chasing Maine: The FarmhouseAn inside look at a Gorham farm’s history through the eyes of the current owner and the pace of the family’s life today.
- Long after the pandemic eases, the economic damage will remainState and federal governments will feel the pinch of increasing debt well into the future.
- Governor prepares to fill vacancies on public defense oversight boardGov. Janet Mills intends to recommend people to fill three vacancies and two expired terms on the Maine Commission on Indigent Legal Services as early as next month.